Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tillamook, Oregon

I visited the Tillamook Cheese Factory in Tillamook, Oregon as a child and wanted to tour it with Rob and the kids as part of our Oregon trip. Before we found Rockaway Beach, we were headed to Cannon Beach which was far away from Tillamook. We were passing through Tillamook on Sunday and I REALLY wanted to go, but I couldn't rationalize (and I tried) the fact that touring a cheese factory would not be keeping the Sabbath day holy. I tried telling myself that I live sooo far away and may never get the chance again to do this with my children or the fact that we were already breaking the Sabbath by having to pay for a hotel on Sunday and find food. They seemed like weak excuses for something that wasn't needed--just wanted A LOT, so on we went. We tried to stay in a few hotels that would be close to the factory, but because they didn't have rooms to accomodate a family of 6, nor did they have ajoining rooms, we had to move on. A few miles down the road was Rockaway, the perfect place to stop and we were able to tour the cheese factory on Monday. Yeah for Tillamook Cheese!

Taste testing the cheeses was fun. Abby liked the curds the best. Hayden liked the cheddar, and Weston thought the pepper cheddar was much too hot. Bastian tried the cheeses even though he says, "I don't like cheese all by itself."

Seeing so many blocks of cheese being made and packaged was very interesting.

At the end of the tour we bought ice cream cones filled with Tillamook ice cream. It was delicious.



These cows had their Christmas hats on. The sign on the cow reads, "For your safety and for our cows' safety, please stay off of them." Too bad Weston can't read. One minute he was right next to me and the next minute I turned around to see him trying to leg up on the calf. How does he do it? I thought it improper to take a picture of him breaking the rules, so you'll just have to imagine it.

There were penny flattening machines there that cost 50 cents to flatten your penny, plus the penny that you put in! We told the kids it was a waste of money. Hayden was playing with the machine and out popped a flattened penny. Some poor little child didn't get his penny souvenior, but boy did it make my child happy!

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

I want some Tillamook ice cream! It would have been awesome to get a picture of Weston breaking the rules, but I guess you have to be a responsible parent.

The Mathews Family said...

Oh that would have been so much fun! You can tell Abby that my favorite part would have been the curds too. Grandpa Orrock used to love curds and called them "squeaky cheese". And you can tell Bastian that my kids would eat cheese all by itself for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, and dessert if I let them. And you can tell Weston that if I had a cow... he could ride it. Love you and love all of the updates!
-Jessica