On Sunday at church the opening song was "Improve the Shining Moments." You can imagine my emotions as I sang:
Verse 2: Time flies on wings of lightning;
We cannot call it back.
It comes, then passes forward
Along its onward track.
And if we are not mindful,
The chance will fade away,
For life is quick in passing.
'Tis as a single day.
Verse 3: Improve each shining moment.
In this you are secure,
For promptness bringeth safety
And blessings rich and pure.
Let prudence guide your actions;
Be honest in your heart;
And God will love and bless you
And help to you impart.
That sure did speak to my heart. It was a tender mercy of the Lord, a message just for me--right there during sacrament meeting. It conveyed exactly what I was trying to say in my "Important Things" post. I quickly pulled myself together after the song because I was to teach sharing time in Primary the next two hours. Mindy was the Primary President in her ward when I was called as Primary President in my ward. I know that she was a skilled teacher. So instead of asking one of my counselors to take over this sharing time, because of my sister's passing, I decided to teach it with strength like my sister Mindy would do. I have made a promise to myself to improve the shining moments.
Mindy's Obituary
Malinda Larie Bastian Wadley 1953 ~ 2008 Malinda "Mindy" Wadley, born March 1, 1953 in Spokane, WA, passed away on November 15, 2008 in Portland, OR, at age 55, after a battle with cancer. Funeral services will be held on Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 2 p.m. at the Gabriel Park Ward, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, located at 6605 SW Garden Home Road in Portland, arrangements by Young's Funeral Home. Interment will be at Pleasant Grove Utah City Cemetery, 500 N Main St., on Tuesday, November 25, following a graveside service at 1 p.m. Mindy was raised in Colville, WA, and graduated from Colville High School as valedictorian of the Class of 1971. A girl of many talents, Mindy was very involved in school activities and was elected the first female student body officer (vice president) at CHS. Mindy represented the city of Colville as Princess Malinda in the Colville Royalty, 1970-71. Mindy attended both Brigham Young University and Washington State University before moving to Seattle, WA, where she worked for 18 years, first as a bookkeeper, and later as manager of the Seattle Clinic of Medicine. For the past 15 years, she was the Billing Coordinator at OHSU's University Fertility Consultants in Portland. Mindy was an active member of the Gabriel Park Ward, serving in many capacities to the benefit of her fellow church members. She married Stephen A. Wadley on August 17, 1991, in the Manti Temple. Mindy's father, June Bastian, preceded her in death in 2002. Survivors include her husband, Stephen Wadley, Portland, OR; mother, Pauline Bastian, American Fork, UT; sisters, Michele "Shelly" Glaus, Gilbert, AZ; Cherisse Jaeger, American Fork, UT; Teresa Collette, Seattle, WA; Allison Routt, American Fork, UT; Krista Salisbury, Basin City, WA; and Rachel LeBaron, Spanish Fork, UT; brothers, Stanton Bastian, El Dorado, CA and Brett Bastian, Wilsonville, OR; 50 nieces and nephews, 19 grandnieces and grandnephews, and numerous aunts and uncles. Funeral arrangements in Utah by Olpin Family Mortuary. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?pid=120433156#sthash.p786iOqe.dpuf

10 comments:
Rachel, I love to read of your thoughts. May be we all improve the shining moments! Love you!
Improve the shining moments--make the most of your trip, enjoy your family, and celebrate your sister's life. We love you!
Rachel I am so sorry to hear about your sister. My love and prayers are with you and your family. I think your thoughts can be a good reminder to all of us.
You are so sweet. I hope that your whole family is doing well. I'll be thinking of you. Love.
Rachel - so sorry to hear about your sister. It looks like things worked out for the best this past week. Thanks for who you are and the example you are to me.
Rachel, I love you! I hope you enjoyed the time with your family as you enjoyed the life of your sister Mindy! Your family is in our thoughts and prayers!
Rachel you are so inspiring! I learn so much from reading your blog. You are truly such an example to me. I am so sorry to hear about your sister.I want to be more like your and improve the shining moments. Thank you for sharing your thoughts at such a difficult time.
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. So sorry to hear about Mindy's passing.
I'm so sorry about your sister. You have such a sweet spirit andare such a beautiful exampleto me.
I am so glad that I was able to know Mindy and that you and I were both able to attend her funeral and celebrate her life. Today I especially need to improve the shinning moments. Thanks for the help in seeing how to make today a better day! (I almost didn't want to comment because you have 9 comments already, but then I figured that I should help you get to 10.)
Post a Comment