Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Important Things

The important things in life come into focus when death arrives at your doorstep. Today I received a call from my Mother telling me that my oldest sister, Mindy, will not win her fight with cancer. Thoughts flooded my brain. Why didn't I visit her more often? Why didn't I call more often? Am I a slave to busy-ness? I try to live my life with no regrets, but I failed on this one. Seeing these regrets makes me realize that more regrets are in my future if I don't make some changes. Taking the time to express love and to "catch up" will leave no regrets. I called her tonight to tell her that I love her. She heard me. With a feeding tube down her throat she said as good as she could, "I love you too."

10 comments:

Rindee said...

Oh, Rachel, I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I glad that you got a chance to talk to her and express your love for her before it was too late. You are wonderful and I'm sure your sister knows and understands that you love her even though you live so far away.

The Mathews Family said...

I love you. I am so sorry. Please give your mom our love.
-Jessica

Ashlee said...

Yeah--I got a call from my mom, too, yesterday. I am sure Mindy knows we love her.

Sara Liechty said...

Rachel I am so sorry to hear about your sister Mindy. My love and prayers are with you and your family.

Randi said...

So sorry, Rachel! I have had this experience a couple times in my life as well. It's hard to look back and wish you had done things better, spent more time, etc. I'm glad you got to talk to your sister. All my thoughts and prayers are with you

Debbie said...

I'm really sorry to hear about this too. I love your thoughts Rachel. It brings everything back into perspective.

Crazy Lady said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sister. How could she ever doubt how you feel about her? She knows of your love and your many responsibilities. You will both be in my prayers.

Aaron and Rebekka said...

Rachel, I am sorry to hear about Mindy. I received the email from your mom letting us know she passed away last night. You have a great way of expressing love to people that I envy. I'm sure it's hard for your mom to lose a daughter no matter what age they are. I love you. Bekka

Jen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister! HUGS

Croslands said...

I'm crying. That was a very good reminder.